"Unseen Lines" text detail (c) Dianne Bowen
Drawing is like taking a line out for a dance, sometimes it's a heavy metal slam dance, sometimes it's as structured as a waltz, and sometimes it's a virgina reel and I'm just switching hands and partners, pencil, paint, paper, film...

An artist's journey making sense of the world through art, language and conversation.




Thursday, February 5, 2015

Daily Diary thinking out loud

The second layer of drawing in the snow at the mural has melted. Paint now only a memory in color of the previous mark settled lightly on the surface. It's dry form almost like lunar mountains through the Hovel telescope. Everything is in flux, my mind is brimming with so many questions I can't keep up. The mural project has proven to be a perfect vehicle to stretch out into the world literally and figuratively. Mark making, drawing, what is a line and how do we understand or perceive what it is to draw is still my main focus of exploration currently I'm in the midst of changing hands and partners as the virgina reel brings me back to various papers and films, pencils, wires, shadows, glinting light, a gently flow, languid fluidity. I've also gone back to working on my collection of original artist books with a dimensional approach, "sculptural or temporary micro installation" books. Ripping our perceptions apart, what is a page, a line, how does a word sit within the confines of such an object, what is such an object ? So many questions, my fascination gets the best of me and I loose track of time or even days.

I've been sorting through my flat files and materials looking at the various papers I've collected over the years. Inspiration is coming as I look backwards picking at peripheral thoughts I'd tucked back in the drawers for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment