"Unseen Lines" text detail (c) Dianne Bowen
Drawing is like taking a line out for a dance, sometimes it's a heavy metal slam dance, sometimes it's as structured as a waltz, and sometimes it's a virgina reel and I'm just switching hands and partners, pencil, paint, paper, film...

An artist's journey making sense of the world through art, language and conversation.




Monday, February 16, 2015

daily diary in the studio, think tank east village

I've been working with paper again. Recently I bought a few sheets of various hand made papers and a beautiful yellow-ish natural papyrus. While helping a friend sort through her work she gave me some old sketches she'd made on carbon paper. Yes, that old wonderful blue carbon paper used to transfer drawings. Lovingly rolled and popped in my bag, this was going to be an impromptu collaboration.  After 2 weeks of planning and playing with the papers I finally got to work to make my first paper piece of 2015 I've tentatively titled "Down the Rabbit Hole".

I wanted the piece to harken back to  earlier book sculptures I'd made while in Ravenna, Italy as my mind has been going back there recently. The idea of careful excavation of frescoes, pieces of mosaics unearthed with the gentle care of using one's pinkies I thought. Peeling back fragile layers, time, history, cities, systems, ancient, extinct, present..? This began the journey.


"Down the Rabbit Hole", 2015 (c) Dianne Bowen (working title) found spring, used guitar wires, mylar cut out, found sketches on carbon paper, museum board, glow in the dark dress pin

"Down the Rabbit Hole", 2015 (c) Dianne Bowen (working title) found spring, used guitar wires, mylar cut out, found sketches on carbon paper, museum board, glow in the dark dress pin

No comments:

Post a Comment